Radio Sandwell Sport

Wolves sack manager Stale Solbakken after six months

2013-01-06 00:09:28

Stale Solbakken

Wolverhampton Wanderers have sacked manager Stale Solbakken after just over six months in charge.

The Norwegian was dismissed by the Molineux board hours after Saturday's shock FA Cup defeat by Luton.

Solbakken, 44, has struggled to make an impact since replacing Terry Connor in July 2012.

Wolves are 18th in the Championship - six points above the relegation zone - and have won just three of their last 17 matches in all competitions.

Alex Lawless's winner earned non-league Luton a third-round victory against the four-time FA Cup winners, although Solbakken claimed he was not embarrassed by the defeat.

"There will be a lot of questions over me but that is normal, that's football and I have to take that, it's no problem," he said afterwards. "I can put it right. I'm not embarrassed by the result."

But four hours after the final whistle, the Molineux club announced his contract had been terminated. Solbakken's assistant Johan Lange and first team coach Patrick Weiser have also left the club.

Head of football development and recruitment Kevin Thelwell, assisted by development coach Steve Weaver, will take charge of first-team training until a new manager is appointed.


Stale Solbakken

A Wolves statement added: "The club would like to offer their thanks and best wishes to Stale, Johan and Patrick." Solbakken's appointment was announced in May last year and he started the role on 1 July, following Connor's short reign as successor to Mick McCarthy.

Connor failed to prevent Wolves' relegation from the Premier League last season and the club turned to former Cologne boss Solbakken after also interviewing Steve Bruce and Alan Curbishley.

Solbakken won six of his first 10 league games before a run of nine matches without a victory saw pressure from fans begin to build.

A car belonging to the ex-Wimbledon player was vandalised outside his Staffordshire apartment in November. Solbakken said he called the police to investigate the incident in order to protect his family.

Results improved with a run of three wins in four matches in early December, but Solbakken's future was again under scrutiny following a trio of post-Christmas defeats by Peterborough, Ipswich and Crystal Palace.

Following the 3-1 loss at Palace on New Year's Day, the Norwegian said there was no suggestion from the Wolves board that his position was under threat.

Source: bbc.co.uk

Share this story

Related Stories

Sport around the web

Olmedo wins French 2000

Pundits pick England Test squad

Southampton v Man City LIVE!

Man Utd v Watford LIVE!

50 great World Cup moments: Nelinho's sublime strike for Brazil against Italy - 1978

Euro Papers: €15m more for Griezmann

Is Hamilton's pole a decisive shift at front in F1? All you need to know about Spanish GP

Walsh eyes French return

Chennai v Sunrisers scorecard/commentary

Donoghue pleased as goal drought ends

Image Slider