Radio Sandwell News

Three-year-old girl chokes to death on a Kinder Egg toy

2016-01-20 23:53:55

Kinder EggThe product features warnings to parents about the danger the small toys pose to children aged three and below Flickr/Corralie Ferreira

A three-year-old French girl has reportedly died after choking on a small toy contained in a Kinder Surprise, also known as a Kinder Egg.

The girl was with her mother in the suburb of Saing-Elix-le-Château in Toulouse when the incident occurred, according to French police.

An autopsy released on Tuesday confirmed the cause of death was an “airway obstruction”.

It is believed the girl put the toy, described as having wheels, into her mouth. It  became stuck in her airway and she could not breathe.

Firefighters who were called to the scene managed to resuscitate her but she succumbed to brain damage caused by the lack of oxygen, according to Metronews.

Kinder Surprise eggs, owned and made byFerrerro, are popular among children because they contain small toys encased in a plastic capsule within the chocolate.

They contain warnings to parents about the danger the small toys pose to children aged three and below.

Kinder Surprise eggs are banned in the United States due to a law forbidding concealed toys in food as it could pose a choking hazard.

The Independent has contacted Ferrerro for comment.

Share this story

Related Stories

News around the web

General election 2017: Last push for votes in election campaign

Mum calls for vaccine jab for boys

London attack: UK was warned about third attacker

GP's call to 'equally protect' boys with HPV vaccine

Manchester attack: Salman Abedi may have stored bomb parts in car

Theresa May: Human rights laws could change for terror fight

London attack: Third attacker named as Youssef Zaghba

General election 2017: Tim Farron and Nicola Sturgeon warn against 'knee-jerk' reaction to terror

Peter Sallis: Wallace and Gromit actor dies aged 96

Two London attackers named by police

Image Slider