Radio Sandwell News

Police chase Boston bomb suspect

2013-04-19 14:15:07

US police are hunting a suspect in Monday's deadly Boston Marathon bombing, after another suspect was killed in a car chase and shoot-out.

Police began the manhunt on Thursday after an officer was killed at a university campus.

Two suspects stole a car and threw bombs and traded gunfire police chasing them. An officer was wounded.

Three people were killed and more than 170 wounded when two bombs exploded near the finish line of the marathon.

The authorities tracked the two suspects to Watertown, west of Boston, where one was killed and another escaped.

Police later confirmed that the two men they were chasing were suspects in Monday's marathon bombing.

The FBI has released several images of two men they were hunting in relation to the bombing.

One was wearing a white cap, the other had a black cap.

Police said "suspect number one" had been killed, and they were looking for "suspect number two", the "white-capped individual".

The authorities in Massachusetts Bay have suspended the transport system and no vehicles are being allowed in or out of the Watertown area.

Officials have told people in the area to stay at home, and warned businesses not to open.

Blast wounds

An earlier police statement said the two men were suspected of killing a police officer on campus at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) late on Thursday.

They then stole a car at gunpoint and drove away with the car's owner still on board.

They released the driver unharmed.

After a car chase, witnesses in Watertown heard several explosions and a gun-battle lasting 10 minutes.

Video footage emerged of a suspect lying on the floor, and later being led into a police car after being stripped of his clothes.

Officials later said one suspect had been hit by bullets during the chase and died.

Dr Richard Wolfe, of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, said the suspect was brought in with multiple blast and gunshot wounds to his upper body.

He was in cardiac arrest when he arrived at hospital and despite attempts to resuscitate him, he was pronounced dead at 01:35 (05:35 GMT), Dr Wolfe said.

It was unclear whether the arrested man on the video footage was the suspect who had died.

Police also confirmed that an officer had been critically wounded in the chase.

Boston police Commissioner Ed Davis said he believed the man being hunted in Watertown was a "terrorist".

"We believe this to be a man who came here to kill people," he said.

Three people were killed and more than 170 wounded when the two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

The blasts killed Martin Richard, aged eight, Krystle Campbell, 29, and Lu Lingzi, 23, a postgraduate student from China


Share this story

Related Stories

News around the web

DR Congo: Kidnapped Britons released

Britons held in DR Congo freed

Student groups with a million members back call for second Brexit referendum

Brexit: UK government to host summit on why other countries should join the EU

Metropolitan Police's facial recognition technology 98% inaccurate, figures show

Missing Joe Tilley found dead in Colombia

Russian embassy in Paris requests info from France on knife attacker's nationality

Nearly half a million 'hidden' young people left without state help to survive and find work, ministers warned

Crystal meth found at Home Office headquarters as Sajid Javid boasts about sniffer dogs' prowess

Theresa May faces deadlock over Brexit customs rules, after senior politicians attack both proposed options

Image Slider