Radio Sandwell News

Moroccan man in France killed in 'Islamaphobic attack'

2015-01-18 00:15:46


The father was attacked after the man forced his way into the home

A Moroccan man in France was brutally killed after being stabbed 17 times in front of his wife at his own home by a neighbour in what is described as a "horrible Islamophobic attack".

Mohamed El Makouli was confronted by a 28-year-old attacker who forced himself through the front door at around 1:30am on Wednesday, shouting "I am your god, I am your Islam", the National Observatory Against Islamophobia said yesterday.

The father of one, 47, was killed in the quiet village of Beaucet, near Avignon in southern France, while his 31-year-old wife Nadia tried to save him. She suffered wounds to her hands before she fled the scene with their child to call the police.

Observatory president Abdallah Zekri condemned the attack "as a horrible Islamophobic attack" and claimed that the victim's partner was very clear about what the man had shouted regarding Islam.

He told AFP: "She is sure of what he [the attacker] said."

The man was charged on Thursday with murder, attempted murder and possession of drugs before he was admitted to a psychiatric hospital in Montfavet. Police said yesterday that the claims of Islamophobia will be investigated when they start questioning the attacker.

He was reported to have been diagnosed with schizophrenia as he claimed he had heard voices and officials say that he was found at the scene in an incoherent state.


People queue at a newspaper kiosk to buy latest edition of Charlie Hebdo

The attack is one of at least 50 Islamophobic incidences reported so far in the country after the murders of 17 people at the Charlie Hebdo magazine and a kosher supermarket in Paris earlier this month, according to the Central Council of Muslims in France.

The three gunmen had massacred cartoonists, journalists, police officers and hostages and claimed it was in revenge of drawings published in the satirical magazine of Prophet Mohamed.

A 20-year-old Muslim man originally from Eritrea, Khaled Idris Bahray, was stabbed to death in Dresden, Germany, on Tuesday. He is reported to have left his home on Monday and did not return before his body was found on the street in the early hours.

The attack on Bahray is feared to be linked to "anti-Islamification of Europe" marches held in Germany, which have been strongly condemned by the country's leaders including Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Share this story

Related Stories

News around the web

DR Congo: Kidnapped Britons released

Britons held in DR Congo freed

Student groups with a million members back call for second Brexit referendum

Brexit: UK government to host summit on why other countries should join the EU

Metropolitan Police's facial recognition technology 98% inaccurate, figures show

Missing Joe Tilley found dead in Colombia

Russian embassy in Paris requests info from France on knife attacker's nationality

Nearly half a million 'hidden' young people left without state help to survive and find work, ministers warned

Crystal meth found at Home Office headquarters as Sajid Javid boasts about sniffer dogs' prowess

Theresa May faces deadlock over Brexit customs rules, after senior politicians attack both proposed options

Image Slider