Radio Sandwell News

Man 'electrocuted' in Tunbridge Wells M&S store

2012-11-04 01:24:39

Marks & Spencers

Police are treating the death of a man who is believed to have been electrocuted at a Marks and Spencer store in Kent as suspicious.

The incident happened at the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre in Calverley Road, Tunbridge Wells.

Kent Police and an air ambulance were called just after 15:30 GMT but the man, who has not yet been named, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police later stressed that the cause of death had not yet been confirmed.

A Kent Police spokeswoman said the death was being treated as suspicious while officers worked out the full circumstances of what happened.

She said police were not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.

The spokeswoman said: "Kent Police were called at just before 3.30pm to a store in Calverley Road, Tunbridge Wells.

"A man was pronounced dead at the scene. The full circumstances of this death have yet to be established and it is being treated as suspicious at this time.

"The air ambulance was also in attendance."

'Tragic incident'

His next of kin have not yet been informed, she said.

Police have not disclosed the man's age. They said he was not a member of the public.

Police said they were called by paramedics from the South East Coast ambulance service who arrived at the scene first.

The store was not evacuated as the scene was not in a public area of the shop, police said.

They said there would be an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive.

Tunbridge Wells Borough Council have been told of the incident and their health and safety officer will be liaising with police.

A spokeswoman for M&S said: "There has been a tragic incident at the store today and our thoughts are with the family concerned.

"We are now concentrating on doing all we can to assist the emergency services with their investigation and as such are unable to comment any further at this stage."

She said the M&S store was closed when the incident happened.

The Royal Victoria Place shopping centre declined to comment on the incident.


Share this story

Related Stories

News around the web

DR Congo: Kidnapped Britons released

Britons held in DR Congo freed

Student groups with a million members back call for second Brexit referendum

Brexit: UK government to host summit on why other countries should join the EU

Metropolitan Police's facial recognition technology 98% inaccurate, figures show

Missing Joe Tilley found dead in Colombia

Russian embassy in Paris requests info from France on knife attacker's nationality

Nearly half a million 'hidden' young people left without state help to survive and find work, ministers warned

Crystal meth found at Home Office headquarters as Sajid Javid boasts about sniffer dogs' prowess

Theresa May faces deadlock over Brexit customs rules, after senior politicians attack both proposed options

Image Slider