The court heard there was a cloud of smoke round the boy and his father
A two-year-old boy living in a house filled with cigarette smoke will be placed for adoption because of concerns about his welfare.
A health visitor told a court in Hull there was so much smoke she had difficulty breathing.
The house was described as dirty and unhygienic and there were other concerns about the boy's care.
The toddler had breathing problems and had been prescribed an inhaler, the family court heard.
The health visitor, Julie Allen, said she had never seen such a "smoky house" in her career.
Nursery nurse Emma Green said the house was cluttered with rubbish, including empty cigarette packets on the floor.
Judge Louise Pemberton concluded the child should be placed for adoption.
She said Ms Allen had "graphically highlighted" concerns about smoke.
"On entering the living room Ms Allen described being able to see a visible cloud of smoke surrounding the father and the boy," said the judge.
"He was asleep on the sofa and had been unwell for some time by this point.
"Ms Allen described the room as 'so smoke entrenched that I had difficulty breathing'.
Health and social services staff had also raised other concerns about the boy's care, describing how his toys and clothes "smelt heavily of smoke" the court heard.
The judge was told that the boy's father had mental health problems and had tested positive for cocaine, the house was "dirty, smelly and unhygienic" and that "potential drug paraphernalia" had been found there.
The judge added: "I am afraid that all of these matters lead me to an unavoidable and difficult conclusion that the risks to the little boy in being placed with his parents are far too high.
"Adoption really is the only option now available."