Mr Knight helped launch the careers of artists including Dr Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg
Former US rap music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight has pleaded not guilty to murder and attempted murder following a fatal hit-and-run incident.
The record label boss appeared in court in Los Angeles five days after a truck he was driving hit two men.
One of the men was killed. Prosecutors allege he intended to run over a friend and another man after an argument.
But Mr Knight's lawyer has said it was an accident that happened as his client tried to escape an attack.
The 49-year-old faces a total of four charges under his real name Marion Hugh Knight and faces life in prison if convicted.
At a brief court hearing in the Los Angeles suburb of Compton, the judge set a bail hearing for Monday and Knight was remanded in custody.
On Monday, a court commissioner revoked the $2m (£1.3m) bail after police said the defendant had a violent past and could intimidate witnesses.
Mr Knight's friend Terry Carter, 55, was killed and Cle "Bone" Sloan, 51, was injured in the incident in Compton.
The fatal incident happened in a restaurant car park in Compton
Suge Knight founded Death Row Records in the 1990s, but later declared bankruptcy and the company was sold at auction.
He helped launch the careers of artists including Dr Dre, Tupac Shakur and Snoop Dogg.
The music producer has previously been convicted of armed robbery and assault with a gun.