Radio Sandwell Music

Amy Winehouse inquest: Singer drank herself to death

2013-01-08 13:50:54

Amy Winehouse

Singer Amy Winehouse died after drinking too much alcohol, a second inquest has confirmed.

Winehouse, 27, was found dead at her home in Camden, north London, in 2011.

The verdict is identical to the first hearing which had to be repeated after the deputy coroner was found to lack the relevant experience.

The deputy coroner had been hired by her husband, senior coroner for inner north London area, but had not been a registered lawyer for five years.

The coroner at St Pancras Coroner's Court recorded a verdict of misadventure, the same as the original inquest in October 2011. The hearing also heard the same evidence as the first inquest.

Alcohol toxicity

The hearing was told the Back To Black star was more than five times the legal drink-drive limit when she died, having 416mg of alcohol per decilitre of blood in her system - the legal driving limit is 80mg.

Dr Shirley Radcliffe, St Pancras Coroner, said the star died from "alcohol toxicity", adding it was "a level of alcohol commonly associated with fatality".

She said Winehouse "voluntarily consumed alcohol" and added "two empty vodka bottles were on the floor" beside her bed when her body was discovered.

In a written statement, Winehouse's GP, Dr Christina Romete, said she saw her the night before her death and told her: "She specifically said she did not want to die."

Eating disorder

The doctor added: "She was genuinely unwilling to follow the advice of doctors, being someone who wanted to do things her own way."

The doctor's statement also revealed Winehouse's struggled with an eating disorder, where she made herself sick.

In a written statement, Winehouse's live-in security guard Andrew Morris spoke about the moment he realised she was dead.

"I was upset and shaken," he said.

"She's like a sister to me."

Det Insp Les Newman confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances over the death.

The inquest was told the post mortem examination gave the cause of death as alcohol toxicity and the singer probably suffered a respiratory arrest.

Source: bbc.co.uk

Share this story

Related Music Stories

Music around the web

Will Smith was broke when he landed role on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Janelle Monae's film career influenced her new music  

Outkast Reunites to Celebrate Big Boi's Son's High School Graduation in Georgia

J. Cole, Playboi Carti & N.E.R.D. Deliver Explosive Performances for Day 1 of Rolling Loud Festival

Chance the Rapper Delivers Dillard University Commencement Speech

Jennifer Lopez: 'Shades of Blue end is bittersweet'

Hayley Kiyoko and Kehlani slam Rita Ora's new track

Dua Lipa swears by pre-show superstitions

Britney Spears uses stage persona to overcome extreme shyness

Popcaan Announces New Album 'Forever,' Brings the Sunshine With 'Body So Good' Single

Image Slider