Radio Sandwell Miscellanea

Man dies after eating live cockroaches

2012-10-09 09:05:21

The winner of a cockroach-eating contest has died minutes after downing dozens of the live bugs.

Edward Archbold, 32, had won a python for polishing off more cockroaches and worms than around 30 other contestants.

Mr Archbold became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the venue, the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida.

None of the other contestants became ill, police said.

Mr Archbold was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities are waiting for results of a port-mortem examination to determine a cause of death.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Mr Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest.

"He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Mr Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party".

Mr Siegel added that Mr Archbold had planned to sell the python to a friend who took him to the contest.

A statement from Mr Siegel's lawyer said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest".

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles".


Share this story

Related Stories

Miscellanea around the web

SEA MONSTER MYSTERY: Beast washes up on British beach leaving experts BAFFLED

Life on Mars: 'Fossilised skull' found on Red Planet evidence of ancient alien UFOs?

Cat named Pawfficer Donut to serve with police

End of the world: Christians believe THESE are the signs of the apocalypse

'Hello kitties' turns to 'beware bobcats' in Texas

Dr Dre loses name battle with gynaecologist Dr Drai

Donald Trump's hotel in Scotland bans Irn-Bru

Zoo in trouble after taking bear out for ice cream

Sharks really like jazz music, scientists say

Life after death? Woman ‘meets angel’ in shock glimpse of the afterlife

Image Slider