Radio Sandwell Miscellanea

Deadly spider found in shopping

2014-10-19 22:28:21

Spider
© Rex Features Brazilian wandering spider

A shopper got a deadly surprise when he opened his shopping and found a poisonous spider hiding among his bananas.

The Brazilian Wandering Spider, whose venom can cause a lingering death from paralysis, was delivered with the online Waitrose shopping to a home in south London.

It also had an egg sac pulsing with thousands of babies.

The customer, whose name was only given as Tim in the Mail on Sunday, tried to trap the six-inch-wide spider which tore its own leg off to escape.

Police and the RSPCA were called for help. A Waitrose pest expert used a 3ft stick to eventually get the spider into a heavy plastic box and away from the house.

Tim and his family told the Mail on Sunday that they were "too traumatised to remain in the house" so they spent the night with friends.

A Waitrose spokesman said: "The safety of our customers is our absolute priority.

"We did everything we could to look after our customer during what was a distressing incident and we've apologised to her personally.

"Although this is highly unusual, we're taking it very seriously and will be working with our supplier to minimise the risk of this happening in the future."

Source: msn.com

Share this story

Related Stories

Miscellanea around the web

SEA MONSTER MYSTERY: Beast washes up on British beach leaving experts BAFFLED

Life on Mars: 'Fossilised skull' found on Red Planet evidence of ancient alien UFOs?

Cat named Pawfficer Donut to serve with police

End of the world: Christians believe THESE are the signs of the apocalypse

'Hello kitties' turns to 'beware bobcats' in Texas

Dr Dre loses name battle with gynaecologist Dr Drai

Donald Trump's hotel in Scotland bans Irn-Bru

Zoo in trouble after taking bear out for ice cream

Sharks really like jazz music, scientists say

Life after death? Woman ‘meets angel’ in shock glimpse of the afterlife

Image Slider