Radio Sandwell Local News

Hanged Birmingham man 'failed' by mental health trust

2013-02-20 16:26:42

Wayne Grew

A Birmingham father of two who took his own life was failed by a mental health trust, a coroner has found.

Wayne Grew, 37, from Rubery, was found hanged in a park on 4 March 2012.

The refuse collector had been worried about losing his job and had threatened to kill himself.

Birmingham deputy coroner Sarah Ormond-Walshe said there had been failures in assessing Mr Grew's suicide risk and in establishing his recent history, but said these did not amount to neglect.

Ms Ormond-Walshe recorded a narrative verdict at Tuesday's inquest.

She is to write to Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust to ask for portable computers to be given to staff so they can check the health records of the person they are visiting.

Mr Grew, who saw his doctor about depression soon after receiving a note on 5 November 2010 which suggested that he might be made redundant, had been seen seen by his mother, Elaine, coming out of some woods with a rope 11 days before his death.

No concerns

His wife Lisa found a suicide note which she shared with their GP, Dr Diler Ahmed, the following day.

At the inquest at Birmingham Coroner's Court, Dr Ahmed said an urgent referral was made to the mental health team.

A home treatment team was sent out to Mr Grew the same day but during the inquest it was heard that those assessing him were not aware he had been seen with a rope the previous day.

Nor were they aware a suicide note had been found and so they failed to appreciate the threat he posed to himself.

Mr Grew, who had two young daughters, was then seen five more times at home.

But on 3 March at a multi-disciplinary team meeting, nursing staff had no concerns.

The following day, Mr Grew was found hanged in Queen Elizabeth Park in Frankley.

His widow Lisa said: "It has been very difficult to hear that thorough assessments were not carried out and that staff could have done more for Wayne.

"It might mean he would still be here today and my two little girls would still have their daddy."


Share this story

Related Stories

Local news around the web

'Substance' sprayed at taxi driver at Birmingham station

This is the 'best pasta sauce in the world' - and it has only three simple ingredients

Alleged hammer attack at shopping centre

Thousands expected to bid farewell to Birmingham's 'King of Scoops'

Two men injured in shooting

Man suffers head injuries in horrific machete attack in Wednesbury

Sawn-off shotguns hidden under stairs

Narcos, Birmingham - review

Terrified shoppers flee Merry Hill shopping centre after alleged hammer attack in food court

Hit and run victim was in vintage car

Image Slider