Jacqueline Stone is launching legal action after losing her eyeball which she claims was caused by wearing popular disposable contact lenses for just a day that she'd bought online.
After removing them she says her vision became blurry and was prescribed eye drops. Her condition continued to deteriorate and form a blister which eventually burst - splitting her eyeball. She says she could feel a bug eating through her eye.
Ms Stone was admitted to Broomfield Hospital near Chelmsford where she claims that doctors failed to diagnose a fungal infection which destroyed 3 layers of her eye and 70 nerves.She lost the use of the eye and it had to be removed. She also developed complications which led her to spend 17 weeks in hospital. She was eventually transferred to a specialist hospital where her condition was correctly diagnosed.
Jacqueline Stone is suing the hospital and the manufacturers of the lenses.
The hospital says it sympathises with her over the loss of her eye and has now investigated the circumstances. Alcon EyeCare UK Ltd who make the lenses also launched an investigation and say '' we have found no connection between the contact lens and this woman's unfortunate experience ''
Ms Stone has more than 20 operations and described the pain she endured as 'worse than giving birth'
To avoid contracting eye infections from the use of contact lenses here's some advice from the NHS:
Regardless of the type of contact lens you should always: